Thursday, February 26, 2015

Krazy for Kratom Diary, part 1

Mitragyna speciosa (ketum, kratom or kratum] Thai: กระท่อม) is a tropical deciduous and evergreen tree in the coffee family (Rubiaceae) native to Southeast Asia in the Indochina and Malesia floristic regions. Its leaves are used for medicinal properties. It is psychoactive, and leaves are chewed to uplift mood and to treat health problems. M. speciosa is indigenous to Thailand and, despite growing naturally in the country, has been outlawed for 70 years and was originally banned because it was reducing the Thai government's tax revenue from opium distribution.

Kratom behaves as a mu-opioid receptor agonist like morphine and is used in the management of chronic pain, as well as recreationally. Kratom use is not detected by typical drug screening tests, but its metabolites can be detected by more specialized testing. The pharmacological effects of kratom on humans, including its efficacy and safety, are not well-studied. - Wikipedia


Kratom Resources:




I am taking red vein/white vein mix from www.microfinekratom.com

o6oo PM - just took my very first kratom capsule. i’m nervous but excited. as i obviously have nothing of substance to report yet, i figured for my opener i would talk about my goals and why i am willing to experiment with something like this.

  • PROs:
- kratom is chemical-free. i am far from a homeopath or organic nut, and i love gluten more than i love my family, but i am also a scientist. and as a scientist, i am permanently horrified by the fillers, dyes, and general “icky stuff” that gets put into my body every day. i am happy to have the medications that i do, to have access to them and that they exist because they do all kinds of wonderful stuff for me like controlling my blood pressure and helping stop the ongoing cycle of vomiting that is my life. but they are still chemicals, and i still put a LOT of them into my body on a regular basis, and there are still a lot of ingredients in them that aren’t helping me, but are part of the compound of the medication itself.
- kratom does not need a prescription. this will let me take control over my own healthcare to some degree. i can decide when i need to take it and how much i need to take based on how i am feeling rather than a doctor’s personal interpretation of my conditions and their own multiple and varied concerns when it comes to scheduled drugs.

  • CONs:
  • - my insurance will not pay for it, and kratom costs about as much as many prescription medications. as someone on a fixed income who can barely make ends meet already, this is a big con.
  • - kratom is relatively unresearched. there are any number of potentially serious side effects to using it, and i have no way of knowing whether those might happen tonight, or tomorrow or next week or after ten years of use.
  • - kratom does not need a prescription. i am putting all of my faith in the supplier, that not only were they sanitary and careful about filling these capsules and farming and preparing the kratom, but also that it is indeed kratom that they are giving me. the company i used has a lot of positive reviews, but anything is possible.
  • - kratom is not likely to be widely available for much longer. when we look around and see what happens to non-prescription drugs that gain a bad rap from people who used them irresponsibly and people who are afraid of the word drugs (marijuana is the best example of this, but i urge you to look at the state of ‘illegal’ drugs in portugal since the revolution and see what a positive effect decriminalizing has had!), we can assume that kratom will soon be on a blacklist somewhere.
  • - it may not work.

and yes, you may have noticed the CONs list is longer than the PROs list, but these are definitely weighted lists. and the potential for pain relief and taking control of my life and my health far outweigh any of the cons. unless of course, i have some kind of crazy reaction to it and become a zombie and/or drop dead. those things would suck. although if i had to choose, i’d rather be a zombie. as long as i’m a quick, scary, awesome zombie like in 28 days and not some rotted corpse dragging my butt around like in the “thriller” video.

i hope you guys enjoyed my first kratom post, and i thank you all for taking this journey with me. this was pretty long, so it will be a separate entry, while the rest of my “kratom” diary (for my maiden voyage, anyway) will be compiled into one entry, to be followed up by long-term-use updates, hopefully.

PLUR it up & stay frosty guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments here are moderated--trolling, nasty, inappropriate and spam posts won't ever see the light of day. civil debate is encouraged! :)

before you comment, THINK!
T - Is it true?
H - Is it helpful?
I - Is it inspiring?
N - Is it necessary?
K - Is it kind?